How to Write a Good and Interesting Article Review?
After reading this guide, you will find out:
- What an article review is
- How to write an article review well
- How to format an article review
What Are the Peculiarities of an Article Review?
A piece of writing summarizing and evaluating a specific article is called an article review. It is focused on presenting a detailed analysis of the article theme, supporting data and recommendations for further research. In order to make a proper summary of the article, it is necessary to identify and understand the chief ideas and facts presented in the article.
A review may be either critical or literal. The former is aimed at providing a thorough review of all aspects of a particular article or book, while the latter is focused on assessing the given piece in a more general sense. There are the established guidelines about how to write an article review that have to be followed. With our article review writing help you will achieve a successful outcome.
An article review is very important because:
- It helps understand unclear notions and terms. The article which you are examining may include ambiguous terms and statements. Its review will help the author to make the content clearer.
- It is helpful in clarifying questions.
- It helps the author to discover opinions on the discussed matter and get rid of personal prejudices.
- It helps improve one’s grammar and writing skills.
- It enables the author to learn the mastery of writing to improve the quality of their future articles.
How to Write an Article Review in a Proper Format
Abstract: It usually consists of about 200-300 words and provides a summary of the points highlighted in the review, i.e. review question, original source, and its conclusion. The references should not be cited in this section.
Introduction: Present the topic of the article under examination. Show the order in which you will discuss the subtopics to provide readers with some basic data needed to comprehend the sections of the article.
Body: It should highlight the tackled subtopics.
Conclusion: It should outline the reasons for reviewing the article and its purpose.
Works cited: Use a common system of referencing. Apply the MLA style.
Advantages of Analyzing an Article Review Example
Scrutinizing the samples of article reviews is important since they help students get acquainted with the works of experts in a field they major in. The samples are also helpful in:
- Determining the latest discoveries in a specific area;
- Identifying the experts working in a particular field;
- Detecting serious gaps in research and finding solutions;
- Leading discussions;
- Brainstorming ideas about a specific research area;
- Broadening one’s knowledge and becoming a real pro in a particular area.
How to Do an Article Review of Outstanding Quality
To be able to create a worthy review, one has to prepare first. The preparation stage consists of the following steps:
Step 1: Understanding the role of an article review
Keep in mind that your readers are familiar with some aspects of the discussed subject.
You are supposed to sum up the major points, facts and findings presented in the article. Additionally, you need to critically assess the effectiveness of the area which the article relates to. Mind that:
- The purpose of a review is to analyze the research conducted by the author.
- The review gives a summary of the article.
Step 2: Identifying the organizational mode of the review
Being aware of the article review structure is essential.
The following points will help you produce a good article review:
- Encapsulate the article Your summary should include significant ideas expressed in the article.
- Highlight positive aspects Present the author’s valuable insights.
- Determine the flaws and drawbacks made by the author of the article. Detect whether there are enough arguments supporting the author’s statements.
Browse the article for unanswered queries.
Step 3: Preview the article
Analyze such items as an abstract, introductory section, headings, topic sentences and a conclusion.
- Read the first couple of paragraphs and a conclusion to identify the author’s chief ideas.
- Read the article completely.
Step 4: Read the article thoroughly
Read the article several times jotting down meaningful points. Illustrate fundamental ideas and the supporting arguments. Cross-reference significant points.
Step 5: Present the content of the article in your own words
The key points have to be presented clearly and logically.
Look through your summary to eliminate unnecessary points.
Step 6: Produce an outline
After analyzing the outline of the summary, detect the facets of the article that have to be improved. In addition, identify strong and weak points. For example, the manner which the author highlights the issue in is advantageous, while the absence of its solution is disadvantageous.
Remember to use references and clear examples.
Once the preparation stage is over, produce your review. Consider the steps given below:
Step 1: Create a title
It can be of a descriptive, informative or interrogative nature depending on the focus of your review.
Step 2: Make citations
Arrange the citations in the appropriate format and present it right after the review title.
Step 3: Identify the article
When writing your review, highlight its:
- Journal title
- Publication year
- Provide this information in the first paragraph.
Step 4: Write an introductory part
Begin it with an identification sentence. Present the chief themes discussed in the article and the author’s statements and arguments.
Points to consider when creating an introduction:
- You may need to identify the thesis on your own since it may not be clearly highlighted in the article.
- Avoid making statements in the first person, i.e. “I”.
- Use the third person (“he” or “she”) to describe your emotions after reading the article. Apply formal style.
- The space which the introduction may occupy ranges from 10% to 25% of the entire review.
- End this section with your thesis.
Step 5: Produce an article summary
Describe the major points, findings, and facts in your own words. Demonstrate how the assertions made in the article are supported and create a conclusion.
When writing the summary, mind the following:
- Produce a few paragraphs. The length depends on the given specifications.
- Give examples or some basic data which the experts of the area you are concentrated on are aware of.
- Outline the chief points of each section.
- Be careful when introducing direct quotes.
- Read your summary several times to make sure it is free from errors.
Step 6: Write the critique
How to write a critical review of an article? First, state whether the author covered the topic fully.
Additionally, explain whether the matter which the article is focused on is described accurately. Highlight the importance of the article to the area it relates to. Present crucial points of the article and straightforward facts. You should also admit whether the author’s ideas helped you build your own argument. Tell readers whether you agree or disagree with the author and provide compelling reasons to justify your viewpoint. State whom the article would be beneficial to.
Step 7: Write a concluding part of your review
Outline the central points in one paragraph. Express your opinion about the consistency and importance of the analyzed article. You may also talk about the ramifications of what can be useful for further studies. Bear in mind that this section should not be more than 10% of the entire paper.
Step 8: Proofread your review
Once your article review is written, you should read it again to spot and correct grammar, spelling or any other mistakes. Any irrelevant data has to be removed. Remember that you need to identify 3 or 4 critical points in the article and highlight them in your article review to make it effective.
By following these instructions on how to write a review of an article, you will manage to create a good paper.